With A Little Help From My Writer Friends

Sunday, August 16, 2020

 Ask any writer how they developed their writing skills and you'll get a wide range of answers from degree programs to writer's conferences, workshops, webinars and books written on that very subject. Everyone's path is different and no one path is better than the next. 

It's also safe to say that every writer develops their own circle of writer friends, those they admire and study and trust to give them the feedback they need to improve their skills. I have been extremely fortunate in the forty years since my first book came out, to have many writer friends along the way who have encouraged, inspired, taught and even critiqued my work, sometimes brutally, to make me a better writer. Because of my writer friends, my writing and story telling skills have significantly improved. 

One of my favorite ways of learning has been to attend writing conferences; conferences that today have all been either shut down or forced to go digital. And although the quality of information being given won't suffer, I as a conference goer will miss the camaraderie of meeting and interacting with other writers more skilled than I. 

But adapt we must and adapt we will. 

Many opportunities are opening up that will allow us to learn from home in front of our own computers. One great opportunity is being offered by "Write 2 Ignite, a Christian writers group dedicated to helping writers provide excellent books for children and adults," as per Carol Baldwin's blog. Here is the information: 

MASTER FICTION WRITING                                                                                                                    Taught by award winning author, Joyce Hostettler 


Includes 3 talks by Joyce:
Creating Memorable Characters
On Writing Plot: What's The Problem
View Point and Dialogue

September 19th 
9:00 am to 5:30 pm (recorded and password protected for 2 months) 
$79
Register: www.Write2Ignite.com  REGISTER NOW

*****************

If you are unable to attend a workshop, webinar or conference, remember to tap into the knowledge of your writer friends. They will not only inspire and challenge you, they'll be there to pump you up when you need it most. Having said that, I need to give a shout out to my critique partners, Debbie, Teresa and Gretchen who have been the writing friends I've needed during the last decade of writing journey. 

What part have your writing friends played in your writing journey? 

******************

Contact Sandra Warren 

www.sandrawarren.com    






9 comments:

Carol Baldwin said...

My writing friends have been HUGE. Knowing that there is a community "out there" cheering me on (Including you!) has helped tremendously. Thanks for sharing the conference, Sandra.

Sally Matheny said...

I attended my first Write2Ignite Writers Conference several years ago. I came away with more than a wonderful time of instruction--some of which came from Joyce M. Hostetter who is teaching the upcoming virtual class. I also came away with a group of great writing friends, some of whom became part of my top-notch critique team.
Thanks, for sharing the info, Sandra. I enjoy reading your blog.

Joyce Moyer Hostetter said...

Thank you, Sandra for the awesome intro to this event. I agree with you about writer friends. I almost think they are the best part of going to conferences! But I've learned a lot from the classes too!

Gretchen said...

I've enjoyed going through the writing journey with you, Sandra. We've had some times, haven't we! This event will be wonderful, especially since Joyce is the feature! In fact, doing it online is the answer for those who have not been able to attend in person in other years.

Sandra Warren said...

Thanks Carol! You have been one of my supportive writer friends. I appreciate you more than you know. I know Joyce's workshop will be great!

Sandra Warren said...

Joyce,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

You are so kind to share your knowledge and expertise with other writers. I know all your students will be thrilled with the class.

I loved your books and look forward to reading EQUAL! Congratulations on completing the series.

Sandra Warren said...

Sally,

Thanks for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment. I do appreciate all my writer friends.

Sandra Warren said...

Gretchen,
I too have enjoyed going through the writing journey with you. I still see a long road ahead and hope you'll be there to continue to help me along my way.

Shannon Mackle said...

Helloooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Win Ex lover back in 48 hours......

R.buckler11 (@gmail……com).

He cures herpes with herbal mixture

100% result guaranteed..

-GENITAL AND ORAL HERPES
-HPV
-DIABETES
-ERECTILE ERECTION
–HEPATITIS A,B AND C
-COLD SORE
-LOWER RESPIRATORY INFECTION
-STROKE
-IMPOTENCE
-HYPERTENSION
-SHINGLES
-FIBROID
-BARENESS/INFERTILITY….

Photos

About Me

My photo
Hi! I’m Sandra Warren, a writer with very eclectic writing tastes. I’ve been fortunate to have publications in multiple genres including children’s, gifted education, parenting, how to, poetry, journal, educational activity guides and biography as well as audio and video production. I'm a city gal recently transplanted to the mountains of NC where glorious mountain vistas inspire latest renderings.

Post by RSS

Comment By RSS

Followers

Search This Blog

Translate