Where The Writing Leads

Thursday, February 4, 2016

Congratulations to Kathleen Burkinshaw! You won a book of your choice from my last blog, Your Book is Out...Scary Words. Just go to www.arliebooks.com, select a book and send me an email...sandra@arliebooks.com.

**************

When the writing bug hit me, I had in mind writing for children; books to inspire and entertain. Never in my wildest dreams did I think about writing for adults; parents, teachers, general audiences. It wasn't on my agenda. I never gave it a thought.

And then one day my telephone range. It was a woman, an Army Reservist, a stranger just returned from the Persian Gulf War. She wanted me to write her memoirs, her life-changing experience serving in Iraq. She had to talk me into it. I was a children's author, after all.

Another time I met an editor for a Home Improvement magazine who asked me to write an article about radon. Radon? Really? "You want this non-science minded writer to pen an article about radon?" Crazy as I am, I said "yes." I found experts in the field, talked to folks who had to mitigate radon from their homes, and wrote the article.

A good friend who is also a writer, wrote a story about a school and then was approached to write a book about fly-fishing. She knew nothing about fly-fishing but she said, "yes." Months after the book came out, she was asked to write an article for a trout magazine.

As writers, we need to be open to whatever opportunities come our way. We never know where the writing will lead.

Have you been asked to write something that surprised you? Something you knew nothing about? Did you say, "yes?"





 






4 comments:

Joan Y. Edwards said...

Dear Sandra,
Thanks for writing this article. You are amazing. Your ability to be open-minded and willing to try new things has led you to many publications, you otherwise wouldn't have had. When opportunity comes knocking, you answer it.

Celebrate you and your willingness to learn new things,
Never Give Up
Joan

Linda A. said...

Sandra,
I don't think I've been asked to write something I didn't feel comfortable with, although I have been asked to do jobs I never planned to do and I did them. I love how your writing is taking off.

Anonymous said...

YAY!! Thank you Sandra :) I sent an email to you.

Sandra Warren said...

Thank you Joan and Linda for you comments.

Writing outside of your comfort zone is invigorating and makes you know you're a writer.

Photos

About Me

My photo
Hi! I’m Sandra Warren, a writer with very eclectic writing tastes. I’ve been fortunate to have publications in multiple genres including children’s, gifted education, parenting, how to, poetry, journal, educational activity guides and biography as well as audio and video production. I'm a city gal recently transplanted to the mountains of NC where glorious mountain vistas inspire latest renderings.

Post by RSS

Comment By RSS

Followers

Search This Blog

Translate