Unexpected Writer Gifts From The Heart!

Wednesday, January 6, 2021

 As I reflect on this past year, as well as other years gone by, I'm reminded of 
the many people, known and unknown, who have stood by me and cheered with each new book and supported me in so many ways. Unexpected were the many gifts related to particular books I'd written, that came my way; many from complete strangers. 

After writing Arlie the Alligator, my story-song picture book, alligators started to invade my house. Today, I have too many to count, from stuffed animals, necklaces, earrings, ceramic alligators, coffee mugs, alligator puzzles, a cement alligator for outside, two custom made alligator cookie cutters and even an alligator cookie jar, to name a few! 

Christmas 2020 brought me a most unusual gift: an infinity scarf imprinted with the complete text, including song lyrics from the Arlie the Alligator mini-musical. Here is a photo of the infinity scarf and a close up of the story text with lyrics. A most wonderful gift. 

After writing Spivey's Web, which became Spivey's Christmas Web, the story of a barn spider tired of spinning barn spider webs, who spins a web of her own design that creates stars that calm a tiny baby lying in a manger, I received a wonderful wire web to hang in my window as well as a spider mug that says, "Welcome to our web!" 

Then there was the gentleman from Virginia, the husband of a caterer
catering a reception for the dedication of a historical marker that resulted from the book, We Bought A WWII Bomber, who hand hammered a WWII B-17 Bomber out of metal to make bomber cookies for the reception. Following the reception, he gifted me with the cookie cutter.            

Several cherished gifts came from my wonderful critique group. In addition to helping me become a better writer, they've stood by me through thick and thin and were always there to offer honest and sometimes brutal advice that made each manuscript shine.


I'll never forget receiving the coffee mugs that make me laugh every time I use them. I particularly like the one that says, "My critique group understands me!" and "Writer: powered by chocolate!" Oh how well they know me. I'd be remiss to not mention the SCBWIC (Society of Children's Writers & Illustrators) hoodie or my latest writer gift that makes it all official..."I'm the Writer Elf!" 

As wonderful as all these gifts are, nothing beats a letter, a drawing or a story from a child who really enjoyed Spivey's Christmas Web or Arlie the Alligator and were inspired to pen something of their own. 

Hearing from a stranger, who took the time to write a review and said things                                            about your adult historical fiction novel like, "It's one of the best novels I've ever 
read!" or "I couldn't put it down," is perhaps the best gift of all and makes the long hours of frustration and enlightenment, creative inspiration and writer's block, emotional lows and highs that make up the writer's journey, worth every minute.  

None of the above mentioned gifts were expected. Some arrived on gift giving days like a birthday or holiday but most arrived out-of-the-blue. 

There's something funny, almost mystical about giving gifts to writers, at least in my experience, most arrived at the precise moment when I needed them most, when writer's block was at it's worst or when I couldn't figure out what to write next and the thought of giving up crept into my head. Writer gifts from the heart to the heart. 

Thank you dear friends, critique partners, family and most of all readers for giving me the the kind words that keep me writing.  

What kind of gifts have you been given to keep you going? 

*********************
Books referred to in this blog:
Arlie the Alligator - PB/Kindle/ DVD & Audio Cassette
Spivey's Christmas Web
We Bought A WWII Bomber: The Untold Story of A Michigan High School, a B-17 Bomber & The  
       Blue Ridge Parkway
Obsessed By A Promise


Sandra Warren can be contacted through her website.

3 comments:

Joan Y. Edwards said...

Dear Sandra,
How wonderful that your writing touches so many hearts in ways you never even dreamed of. I am so glad that you write and take chances with your work to better the lives of people on your path and on the path of each of your books!

Enjoy being you.
Never Give Up
Joan

Sandra Warren said...

THANK YOU JOAN!!!

Shannon Mackle said...

Helloooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Win Ex lover back in 48 hours......R.buckler11 (@gmail……com).

He cures herpes with herbal mixture

100% result guaranteed..

-GENITAL AND ORAL HERPES
-HPV
-DIABETES
-ERECTILE ERECTION
–HEPATITIS A,B AND C
-COLD SORE
-LOWER RESPIRATORY INFECTION
-STROKE
-IMPOTENCE
-HYPERTENSION
-SHINGLES
-FIBROID
-BARENESS/INFERTILITY….

Photos

About Me

My photo
Hi! I’m Sandra Warren, a writer with very eclectic writing tastes. I’ve been fortunate to have publications in multiple genres including children’s, gifted education, parenting, how to, poetry, journal, educational activity guides and biography as well as audio and video production. I'm a city gal recently transplanted to the mountains of NC where glorious mountain vistas inspire latest renderings.

Post by RSS

Comment By RSS

Followers

Search This Blog

Translate