Prejudice Begins In The Home

Thursday, January 20, 2022

 Note: Can it really be a year since I blogged? My goodness! As the world shut-down for COVID in 2020, many writer's were inspired to write with their new found time at home. I, on the other hand, was among those who shut-down mentally. Now, as we begin our third year of concern and semi-isolation with this horrible virus, I'm happy to say my creative juices are finally getting back on track. And although I'm not a prolific blogger, I vow to be better in 2022. 

*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *

This week, as we celebrate the legacy and historical contribution of Martin Luther King Jr., I'm reminded of my youth growing up and attending an integrated school in Michigan. That remarkable school, South High School, functioned, for the most part, like society should function; accepting and respecting the differences of others no matter their ethnic background, religion or color. It was a school in a factory neighborhood that was a melting pot of multiple nationalities including Dutch, Latvian, African American, Irish and German, to name a few. There were athletes and scholars and artists and musicians of all colors and creeds. It wasn't a perfect place by any means. There was prejudice, but it wasn't rampant. There was no them and us. Most grew up going to school with each other so attitudes were formed while very young. I was one of them. 

My earliest recollection of racial differences that I can remember came about in first grade surrounding a birthday party for my friend, Edna Mae. She had a birthday party and I was the only one who showed up.

I was thrilled to have the story selected for inclusion in the first Chicken Soup For The Kid's Soul book. You can read all about it in the book, on page 46. "Edna Mae, First Lesson In Prejudice" has provoked interesting discussions among groups where children and adults gather; in classrooms, churches and recreational programs, to name a few.

Like most things, our attitudes are shaped by our environment and our earliest environment is the home. As parents, the first teachers our children know, we need to be mindful of the thoughts and ideas they 
are picking up from our behaviors. Like the old saying, "manners are caught, not taught," so too is prejudice.  

Do you remember your first encounter with prejudice?  

***************************

Contact Sandra Warren at  www.sandrawarren.com 






3 comments:

Carol Baldwin said...

That sounds like a very powerful story, Sandra. Congratulations on being included in the anthology and welcome back to the blogosphere!

Sandra Warren said...

Thanks Carol, it is was a powerful lesson for me although I was too young to appreciate it at the time.

There were 2500 submissions which were narrowed down first to 500 then cut again to 250 after which they remaining choices were sent to 3 schools in CA and 3 schools in Arkansas (I believe it was Arkansas--it was a southern school) and school children picked the final 90+. All Chicken Soup books have 101 stories but around 10-11 are saved for famous folks. I was told that FIRST LESSON IN PREJUDICE received the most votes after much discussion among students, especially those in the southern school. What's even more surprising is that one of my daughter's stories, All I WILL EVER NEED, (I believe that's the title) is on page 66 or there about.

Shannon Mackle said...

Helloooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Win Ex lover back in 48 hours......R.buckler11 (@gmail……com).

He cures herpes with herbal mixture

100% result guaranteed..

-GENITAL AND ORAL HERPES
-HPV
-DIABETES
-ERECTILE ERECTION
–HEPATITIS A,B AND C
-COLD SORE
-LOWER RESPIRATORY INFECTION
-STROKE
-IMPOTENCE
-HYPERTENSION
-SHINGLES
-FIBROID
-BARENESS/INFERTILITY….

Photos

About Me

My photo
Hi! I’m Sandra Warren, a writer with very eclectic writing tastes. I’ve been fortunate to have publications in multiple genres including children’s, gifted education, parenting, how to, poetry, journal, educational activity guides and biography as well as audio and video production. I'm a city gal recently transplanted to the mountains of NC where glorious mountain vistas inspire latest renderings.

Post by RSS

Comment By RSS

Followers

Search This Blog

Translate