Waiting for THE Call

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Second only to rejection, the worst part of being an aspiring author is the wait. I'm waiting to hear from an agent who requested my complete 80,000 word manuscript. The first agent went out of his way to tell me that he read the entire story, loved the characters, thought they were engaging, the setting interesting, the background fascinating, but was confused about the audience. Written for adults, he pegged it a YA. Go figure! He doesn't represent YA so he passed.

Next I found an agent who represents both adult and YA. "That ought to cover it," I'm thinking. Response to my email query was returned within five minutes. "Send the entire manuscript," the response said.

"Wow!" Within a half hour of my email query, the second agent had the entire piece. It's been five weeks now with nary a word.

"Don't call us we'll call you if we're interested," the agent's agency information commands.

"Does that directive also apply to requested material?" I wonder.

I know these things take time but what's a writer to do without seeming amatureistic? For the moment the only thing she can...WAIT!

1 comments:

Gretchen Griffith said...

Waiting is too passive! Instead turn that wait time into writing time. New projects.

Photos

About Me

My photo
Hi! I’m Sandra Warren, a writer with very eclectic writing tastes. I’ve been fortunate to have publications in multiple genres including children’s, gifted education, parenting, how to, poetry, journal, educational activity guides and biography as well as audio and video production. I'm a city gal recently transplanted to the mountains of NC where glorious mountain vistas inspire latest renderings.

Post by RSS

Comment By RSS

Followers

Search This Blog

Translate